Manchester United have made a significant change to their transfer plans this summer, according to a report.
The news that Eric Bailly has penned a new three-year deal, with the option of another 12 months means that United’s priorities have changed. According to the Daily Telegraph, United boss Ole Gunnar Solskajer will now “have a clear run at trying to sign Erling Haaland and the best forwards in Europe”.
Bailly’s new contract came out of the blue on Monday. The Ivory Coast defender’s camp had been making noises about the 27-year-old’s unhappiness at Old Trafford. The former Villarreal man was said to be upset at his lack of match action.
Bailly has made only eight Premier League appearances this season. He has struggled with injuries and a bout of Covid-19. However, his statement after signing up was full of optimism.
Whether or not Bailly has sought assurances from Solskjaer is unclear, but his attitude seems revitalised.
“A new contract is like a new challenge and I’m ready for this,” said Bailly.
Bailly will be looking to displace Victor Lindelof as Harry Maguire’s defensive partner.
Per the report, Solskjaer’s hunt for a centre-back is now not a priority. The Norwegian will hang his hat on Bailly and instead look to go all out for attacking signings this summer.
Haaland is at the top of Solskjaer’s wanted list, but the Norway striker is wanted by a number of other clubs too. Jack Grealish and Jadon Sancho are also options that United have on their wanted list. And moving for one of those targets has been “made easier” after Bailly signed up.
Give our social media channels a follow – we’re on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram
Chelsea plan for Haaland
Solskjaer has made it clear he is a huge fan of Haaland. He flew out to try and persuade the 20-year-old to join United in January 2020.
Borussia Dortmund though paid his release clause and the agreed to the demands of his agent Mino Raiola and got their man.
Chelsea and Real Madrid are also understood to have Haaland as their priority this summer though. And a leading football agent has told TEAMtalk that the Blues now believe they can cash in on the fall-out of the failed Super League.
The huge cash windfalls being proposed by Super League organisers were not a driving force for Chelsea’s participation.
Chelsea were then the first English club to declare their intention to withdraw from the project. And the idea of limited spending from some of their rivals could open the door for Roman Abramovich to make his move.
United though also look like they are positioning themselves for an assault on Haaland, who will likely look to leave if Dortmund miss out on the Champions League.
READ MORE: Reliable source namechecks Man Utd after mystery club make world-class striker enquiry