Former world No. 8 Jack Sock has received a wild card into the US Open, the tournament announced on Wednesday. Sock, 28, debuted at the US Open in 2010 and since then he has played every year at Flushing Meadows. Sock’s best result at the US Open came in 2016, when he made the round-of-16 before losing to Jo-Wilfried Tsonga.
Rising American stars Jenson Brooksby and Brandon Nakashima have also been awarded wild cards into the US Open. Brooksby recently ended runner-up in Newport, while Nakashima ended runner-up in Los Cabos and Atlanta. The remaining five wild cards were awarded to Sam Riffice, Zachary Svajda, Emilio Nava, Ernesto Escobedo and Australian Max Purcell.
Sock working his way back
Sock, who won the Paris Masters in 2017 and achieved a career-high ranking of No. 8 the same year, has had a couple of rough seasons on the Tour. However, Sock is feeling healthy again and he wants to return to his old form.
“We sat down after I came back from my thumb surgery, and then obviously with COVID-19 we definitely sat down – [my coach, Alex Bogomolov], my wife, everyone – and said, if we’re going to do this then the goal is to be competing to win tournaments and be one of the best players in the world,” Sock recently told the ATP website.
“If not, if that doesn’t happen, then I’ve done a lot in the sport and I’m proud of it. But there’s not much point in wasting time if you’re not ready to go after it again. “My goal is definitely to do everything in my power to be the best I can in singles again, and then see what happens…
I’m excited to show everybody where I’m at and that I’m back and ready to go.” It remains to be seen how far can Sock go at the US Open.