USTA Florida is committed to advancing racial equality in tennis. Through our Amplify initiative, we seek to engage and amplify Black voices throughout the Florida tennis community. To help push this initiative forward, in the month of June we are offering 10, one-time reimbursement grants of $200 to providers offering approved Juneteenth Tennis events. This opportunity will not only help promote tennis in your local community, but also drive potential players/members to your organization.
In order to receive these funds being offered, please complete this application by June 9. Information on requirements and accountability are included in the application, and our team may follow up to request more information as needed.
To be approved, this event must:
- Take place in June 2022
- Include at least 15 participants
- Be run by a Safe Play approved provider
- Demonstrate commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Incorporate history of Juneteenth during the event
Examples of community organizations providers can partner with:
- 100 Black Men
- Jack and Jill
- Boys and Girls Club
- African American Chamber of Commerce
- Black Sports Professionals
- Greek Life on college campuses
Examples of how to celebrate:
- Live music
- Food Trucks
- Discussions amongst historians
- Incorporating Black community vendors
- Incorporating Black art and culture
Educational resources on Juneteenth:
- Juneteenth: why celebrating the holiday is more important now than ever – Vox
- Fight for Freedom – Love Has No Labels
- What Is Juneteenth? African American History Blog | The African Americans: Many Rivers to Cross (pbs.org)
- What is Juneteenth? – The New York Times (nytimes.com)
- 9 Ways to Celebrate Juneteenth in 2021 (thespruce.com)
If you would like to run a Juneteenth Tennis event but aren’t sure where to start, please reach out to Ronald Lyons at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The post Juneteenth Tennis Event Grants Available appeared first on USTA Florida.