Rajat Patidar has become Royal Challengers Bangalore’s (RCB) latest batting sensation after scoring a stunning century in the Eliminator of the ongoing IPL 2022.
In a game where RCB were hoping for their big guns to fire, it was Patidar who led their batting charge. Captain Faf du Plessis (0), Virat Kohli (25) and Glenn Maxwell (9) failed to get going as RCB found themselves reeling at 86 for 3 at one stage against Lucknow Super Giants.
At that time it looked like RCB would struggle to cross even the 150-run mark. However, Patidar had some other plans as the right-handed batsman played a stunning knock to help his team score an imposing total of 207 for 4.
The 28-year old slammed an unbeaten 112 off just 54 balls at a strike-rate of over 207. His breathtaking knock was studded with 12 fours and 7 sixes. He was well-supported by in-form Dinesh Karthik who scored 37 off 23 balls as RCB posted the big total.
Incidentally, Patidar was not a part of the RCB camp at the start of the season after going unsold in the auction. He was later roped in by the Bengaluru-based franchise as a replacement for injured Luvnith Sisodia. And one can say that Patidar has totally justified the faith shown in him by the franchise.
Thanks to the sensational century in the Eliminator against LSG, Rajat Patidar is now the proud owner of several records. Here are some of the records made by him after his knock.
— Royal Challengers Bangalore (@RCBTweets) May 25, 2022
- He is the first-ever batsman from Royal Challengers Bangalore to score a century in the IPL playoffs. Even the likes of Virat Kohli, AB de Villiers and Chris Gayle had failed to achieved this feat.
- 15 years after the inception of the tournament, Patidar became the first-ever uncapped player to score a century in the IPL playoffs. Overall, he became only the fourth uncapped player to score a century in the tournament.
- He is also the first-ever player to score a century in the IPL Eliminator. The only other players to score a century in the playoffs are Virender Sehwag (Qualifier 2) and Murali Vijay (Qualifier 2).
- His 49-ball century is the fastest century in the IPL playoffs. The previous record was held by Sehwag who had scored his ton in 50 balls.
- Patidar also scored the fastest century of the season.